Thursday, September 01, 2005

Thursday, September 1st, 2005

This is my second week of school, almost over. My courses are going well so far but I'm finding myself bored in some of them already. I'm taking Language and Culture, History and Theory of Anthropology, Museum Methods and, for my Women's Studies Minor, I'm taking Feminist Theory. Sometimes I think that the boredom in some of these class sessions is because of a feeling of not being challenged enough but mostly I just think that I'm getting to a point in my academic life where the structure of classes all seem unexciting and where I'm too impaitent to wait to have basic concepts explained to class rooms before we can really learn about what we're supposed to be learning. This is particularly the case in my two Theory classes. For the last two weeks in my theory class, we've been learning about why it is important to learn Feminist Theory. If I didn't know that it was important, I wouldn't have sighned up for the class. But, it is a required course for all WOMS minors so, I suppose that Dr. Swanson feels that she must justify why it is required and that I should stop being so self centered and cynical.

So far my schedule works out like this:
I work at the University Bookstore on Mondays, Wednesdays and fridays from 9:00am to 1:00pm. I have lunch on Mondays and Wednesdays (usually with my roommate Sandi at the Anthropology Department Graduate student lounge) then I go to Language and Culture at 2:00 followed by Feminist Theory at 3:30. Then I go home and do homework and sometimes cook dinner for the appartment. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I work in the cemistry and physics libray at 8:00 am where I mostly just sit and do homework for 4 hours. Then I have a 2 hour break during whihc I go home, eat a sandwhich and watch Judging Amy. Then I have History and Theory of Anthroplogy at 2:00 another break which is about an hour and a half long, during which I normally do home work in the computer lab near the stevens building. After that I have Museum Methods at 5:00. So far that class is my most boring, least convieniently timed and least neccisary. The teacher makes us read essays about what an 'object' or a 'collection' is. zzzzz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home